2008/09/14

Lunch Time

Last week, I was a bit “nagtatampo” with my wife because she has been preparing new kinds of bread for my packed lunch which I found to be really uhm…unsavory. Not only they were hard to chew but the taste was plain dull and bland (What can I do? I am a sweet-tooth person). And so I let her know my sentiment so that she will try to go back to my kind of bread with sweet choco or mongo fillings or luscious spreads.


However, she cajoled me with her calm reply,”Honey, I need to start reducing your sweet intakes because your family has a history of diabetes and it is best to start now. I know the taste isn’t what you have always been used to but it is good for you. Also, I always buy them in pairs so I ate the same bread for my lunch as well.”


Though I wished she never replied that way to convince me, I do love my wife. Not only did she made me realized that she would rather see me superficially denied than to be certainly ailing in the future but she also shared in my “little suffering” by eating the same bread that I dislike.

Well, true love must be like that. When one prioritizes your well-being over your momentary being, when the focus is on what will be right rather than will just make us feel good at a given point in time, when it is a decision for long-term over short term, or giving weight to future than just today, then considered your-self extremely loved.


This incident made me reflect on life again.


The next time life is throwing hardship and difficulties at our way with all stuffs that we deemed “unsavory”, we simply remember that God is not allowing them to happen if He can not bring anything good to come out from our situation. We need not complain about it because He meant everything for good to those who follow His word. And we must never think that He is unfair because He knows more than what it means to suffer. Remember Calvary when we are suffering and remember His suffering as well.


Which led me to my personal vow - I will never ever complain again about the lunch my wife will prepare for me.

It is enough to know that she is doing it every morning out of love and concern for me.


Nothing tastes better.