2010/04/15

Hidden Acts

ASH WEDNESDAY

First Reading : J1 2: 12-18
Second Reading : 2 Cor 5:20 – 6:2
Gospel : Matthew 6: 1-6, 16-18

And your Father who sees what is hidden will repay you.

Our small family ministry Maia Outreach Programs has been barely over a year since it started. And by the amazing prayers, support and donations from friends and relatives, we are deeply blessed to be able to become God’s humble messengers of love and hope to some of the poor kids in our parish and even beyond that.

However, once in a while, something is bugging my mind and giving restlessness to my soul. As a result of our occasional and parochially approved solicitations, we need to send out information flyers (e.g. email notices or print-out letters) giving details to each particular project. After the project is over, I am obliged to make a short summary or report to all those who have donated how the money they shared were spent. It is during these times I feel alluded to being like those hypocrites in Jesus’ time that “blows trumpet" at the onset and aftermath of doing something righteous. I am torn between keeping a silent hand at work and informing others about our projects.

It took sometime but I needed to wait for the Lord’s assurance for peace to finally settle in my heart. Only then did I recognize (once again) the difference between the true good-doer and the good-show-er.

It all depends to whom love is directed.

Reflection:
A good-show-er does good for the love of himself. He is one who does so that others may see and to win the praise of others. He makes the intentional effort to be recognized for his good actions. To put it simply, his true motivation is to get love rather than to give love.

A good-doer does good deeds for the sole reason of loving of God and loving others. Other people may or may not see, may or may not praise his good deeds but he just keeps on loving anyway. He simply want to give love.

Prayer:
Dear Lord, please always cleanse my heart and purify my thoughts that my loving actions for others will always and only be the love coming from You towards them. Make me a humble channel of Your love. Amen.

- Feb. 17, 2010, posted on KerygmaFamily Forum

No comments: