2014/03/11

Face Our Fears


We all know that fear is a natural feeling to be afraid or worried of (something or someone), or to expect or worry about (something bad or unpleasant). We fear pain and accident, sickness and death and unemployment or lose of good financial standing. We are afraid of bad people who can cause undue physical, psychological, social and even spiritual harm to us or our loved ones.

But it is somewhat quizzical to note that during the Lord’s transfiguration on the high mountain (Matthew 17:1-9), the three witnessing disciples – James, Peter and John, were prostrated in fear after hearing God the Father’s voice. It happened just as Peter, feeling good that they are seeing Moses and Elijah conversing with Jesus after “His face shone like the sun and His clothes became white as light”, was proposing to build up tents for them to stay there.

So can fear come out even from something good?

I believe so.
And as far as I can remember, I have been guilty of this a couple of times.

Graduating in college was good, nevertheless I was worried how fast I can find work. Finding work was good, yet I was anxious how I will be compensated and how to fit into the workplace. Getting promoted was good, but I was uneasy if I was up to the task. Receiving my first job offer abroad was good, however I was troubled how I would adapt to the different culture and weather.

The presence of fear despite the good things in our life exposes the lack or little faith in us.
So what is the antidote for our littleness of faith?

We must let Jesus come to us and be genuinely touched by His words that He is the potter and we are clay in His loving hand (Jeremiah 17:7). He will always mould us into something unique, great and wonderful. A potted clay must still undergo the swirling, twirling and trimming during shape formation, the drying and heating during hardening and glazing or painting for the final stage. Only after the culmination of our lives will we (and others) be able to completely view and appreciate how beautiful He always meant us to be.

There will often be a what-is-next-fear in our lives but if we truly seek and cling to our Lord’s promise, we can do rise up to face our fears.   


God bless.