2008/01/20

Prayer of a Father and Husband

I'd like to share a prayer taken from a Pauline's pamphlet that Fr. Adams gave away to the couples during the Renewal of Marital Vows ceremony within our Sunday mass. It has been an annual tradition for Fr. Adams to do this and many married couples always look forward to this event, including me and my wife.

Prayer of a Father and Husband.

Dear Jesus,

I place myself in Your presence.
I put my whole life at Your disposal.
I acknowledge my shortcomings and failures.
I give up my pretenses and excuses.
You lived among us and experienced a family.
You shared the Father's love.
You showed us how to be obedient and dutiful children.

Today, my Lord, with Your blessings and guidance;
I renew my marital commitment:
to love my wife until my last breath,
to serve and not to abuse,
to cherish and not to forsake,
to be faithful and not to betray,
to forgive and not to accuse,
to protect and not to hurt.

With Your grace, I also renew my obligations to my children:
to take care of them as to give them a better future,
to share my time as to let them feel that I love them,
to give my love as to provide them a worthy life,
to show them good examples as to rear them as worthy children.

And for these, my Dear God, I humbly seek Your blessings.
Guide us against all harm and secure us from any danger.
Let me live longer for my children.
Let me be strong to work in view of their future.
Make our house also Your home.
Live among us and stay with us, Dear Lord.

May we live united as a family like the Holy Family of Nazareth.

AMEN.

No comments: