2008/03/18

Roadblocks?

There will always come a time in our life when we are hindered from taking the next step that we want for our lives.
We passionately wanted to achieve or reach something only to realize that it is already late and we missed the opportunity.

We hit roadblocks in our life.

During my first two years inside the seminary, I have wanted so much to leave because I never felt in my heart the vocation to be a priest but I was always prevailed upon by my desire to make my parents happy. On the third year in the seminary, I started developing and feeling the vocation (or at least that’s how I felt it that time) but the rector and spiritual director discerned otherwise and let me go after that year. I was actually given the option to come back after a year, with pre-conditions that I attend the monthly weekend recollections so I tried to meet the requirements. But every time I was there, the activity was either cancelled or re-scheduled and I lost the chance to return.

Entering college, I wanted so much to take Psychology in UST but I was only able to pass the blood-and-sweat engineering examinations from another school. During college, I wanted to pursue the Electronics and Communication field only to finally end up with the Electrical degree due to some grade average requisites that I can not meet.

I was beginning to entertain thoughts of going back to the religious life when I met Menchie, my soon-to-be wife.

I wanted to keep working in my first company, but uneasiness with financial aspects and career advancement led me to try working abroad. My first job abroad was financially rewarding but it folded after 18 months since we started working and with 6 months of backwages vanishing with it.

My wife and I wanted to have our first baby after 1 year but our little Zek came only after 4 years of long waiting.

My second job was excruciatingly time-demanding and I needed time for my new born son but the lack of alternative jobs forced me to stay put until the year 2005.

By my own definition, my very own goals have been missing their marks because of these “roadblocks”.
However, if I reflect on it nowadays, I can understand better what God wanted to show me at each roadblock.
Because on hindsight, they weren’t roadblocks after all.
They were directional detours and signs to which way He wanted me to go.

They were actually my roadmap!

Today, I am a happily married husband and a father to 2 lovely children.
I am working for a small trading company that understands my need for a balanced time for work, family and spiritual life.
This is the life-phase our Lord wanted me to be before my next trip down the road.

Thanksgiving prayer:
Thank you Lord for guiding me and nudging me whenever necessary.
Please go on with your divine plans for me because they are far better than my own.
Help me to always trust in You with all of my heart and never to lean on my own folly understanding.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello, bro rowin. this is felicity...new member sa kfam. i came across your web site sa link mo in your profile. hope ok lang na nabasa ko ito :). i just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for this post. many times kasi in our lives there are questions of "why"? bakit ito nangyari? bakit hindi natuloy ang mga plano ko? bakit hindi natupad ang pangarap ko? reading your post is a beautiful reminder na everything that happens is because of God's greater plan. i like how you said the roadblocks were roadmaps instead. maraming maraming salamat for sharing your wisdom!

Aim Santos said...

Thanks Felicity :)

Sa ating mga katanungan ay Diyos lamang ang may tamang kasagutan. :)

God bless.