2008/06/30

Lost and Found

My wife and I exchanged worried glances even as we try to keep calm.

After nearly 10 minutes of fruitless effort to find Zek, who wandered away towards the stage area where Bo Sanchez is preaching, I was starting to wish that he’d simply recognize that he is lost and start to cry out loud to direct me to where he is. It did not help a bit that it was only my second time to attend the weekly Kerygma Feast at Valle Verde Country Club and I am still quite unfamiliar with the venue. Aisle after aisle after aisle and nary a sign of our 4 year old son.

I paused and pray for help.

It was at that instant that I remember one particular spot that Zek fondly played at the first time we came there. He was running up and down the access ramp for the disabled at the lobby entrance. “If he strayed far enough to go outside of the hall, then he should stop there and wait for us”, I tried to convince myself as I squeezed through the throng of audience blocking my way. My chest was pounding hard.

And from afar I saw our son holding and embracing the chrome-plated hand rail post. He was gazing towards the entrance which is just a few steps away from him.
I called him and what I saw melted my heart.
He was misty-eyed already, almost sobbing and frightful of the thought that he can not find us.

Without taking another breath, I embraced him and assured him that everything is fine now.
I shared to him how worried his mommy and I have been looking for him.
I praised him for not totally going out of the venue but I also reminded him to stay near us because he can easily get lost within the crowd.
We went back inside and my wife was finally relieved as well.

In Luke Chapter 15, Jesus spoke about the parable of the lost sheep, the lost coin and finally the lost son, which is more commonly known as the story of the prodigal son.
Whereas we are assured of God’s all-loving plan to find every single lost soul, it should come clear to our mind as well that He alone can not find us if we ourselves do not want to be found. Truth be re-told over again, God finds us only when we present ourselves to be found.

The lost sheep, with its naturally strong herd instinct, tries to keep its way on their usual routes and tracks after wandering off. So the shepherd’s chance of finding him along the places they normally go or stay is quite good. The old coin was lost inside the house so the woman knows where to look for it and her efforts paid off after sweeping the whole house under a lighted lamp. Finally, the prodigal son, realizing his grievous mistake, made his way back to his waiting father who “caught sight” of him from afar, ran to meet him, embraced and kissed him.

We are no different at all.
Like a sheep, an old coin or the squandering son, we have at one time or another been lost and needed to be found.

Do you feel lost?
What must you do?

Stay Quiet
The noises left and right tends to drown the voice of God that lovingly calls us back to Him. These noises vary from your troubled mind or feelings of unworthiness to doubts of His mercy or hopelessness to get up from the deep sinking hole of your sinfulness. Clatters and clanging sounds may comes in the form of people who, instead of supporting us to get up, will join in jeering chorus that we hit rock bottom without any way out. So the right way is to stay away from the crowd that drowns His presence and dampens our spirit of repentance. Be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10).

Stay Put
There is no use in moving farther and farther in detour spirit-constricting directions if you know the way will only lead to further self-destruction. Stop and look around. If you are now in a very unfamiliar position or situation where God’s presence is the least you can feel, then chances are you are really lost. So if you are not sure which is the way back home, then just stay put and wait for the Lord. Trust Him as He commences His effective life-changing ways to find you to re-direct your paths towards Him.

Stay Visible
You may be near the Lord but if you keep on hiding yourself, then finding you will not be easy. Hiding usually comes in the form of shame on your past deeds. Look up to the Lord and with a contrite heart shout out to Him, “Lord here I am, have mercy on me a sinner.” Do not be discouraged. Take solace that Zachaeus has to climb up the sycamore tree just to show himself to Jesus who was passing by then. Believe that like the blind man Bartimaues who shouted and begged Jesus to heal him, your pious efforts to be heard will not go unnoticed with the Lord.

Dear friend, stop being lost, let yourself be found and come home now.
Jesus assured you that there will be rejoicing in Heaven for your much-awaited homecoming.

“Quickly bring the finest robe and put it on him; put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Take the fattened calf and slaughter it. Then let us celebrate with a feast, because this son of mine was dead, and has come to life again; he was lost, and has been found.' Then the celebration began. (Luke 15:22-24)