2009/01/04

40 Years

Today, January 4, my wife and I have the great privilege to be with our parents as they celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary. As our loving tribute to them we treated them to an eat-all-you-can restaurant near our place after more than a month of strict dietary meals that include fish and vegetable in cyclic rotation or combination (well, we always likened their China visit to a secluded retreat without access to any Philippine TV programs and certainly away from salty, fatty and sweet foods). So expectedly enough, Papa and Mama had had their succulent lunch to their hearts’ (and yummy tummys’) content. And just for good measure, we stayed in the restaurant for more than 2 hours for us to try most of the delicacies and desserts they have offered.


We capped off our lunch date with a lazy (our stomachs are still full, remember?) stroll and a short visit to the Jiuzhou Museum.


Later tonight, Papa and Mama gave their sentimental thanks after our prayer time before we finally went back to our respective rooms.


But just before sleeping, I found a few minutes to think about what our parent’s 40th anniversary means to me. The first thought is that, “Am I that old already?” (I sure beat you to that thought, huh) because I just realized that my age is now hovering and circling that neighborhood block called Life-at-40. Oh well. (with a deep sigh)


Anyway, what really captured my thought is how remarkable and inspiring it is to have parents who have stayed together this long not just for the misnomer concept of staying under one roof, but truly loving and blessing one another throughout and in their ongoing married lives. Without a doubt, they surely have their own ups and downs (try imagining bringing up 4 boys for starters) but they do can look back at their time with a beaming spirit of love, joy and peace in their heart and mind.


At this point I am tempted to ask them,” What is your secret to a fulfilling and successful marriage?” but I guess the answers have been impressed upon us ever since – love of God and love of spouse. These are the main ingredients. Respect, communication, fun, and commitment are secondary essentials. The rest are mere flavorings.


Thank you, Papa and Mama because you have been “treating” my brothers and I for years by being living proofs of what a sanctifying marriage is all about.

Congratulations po and we love you both.