2012/02/06

Family Time




"Daddy, I want to go to London.”, my seven year old son blurted out.

"Sure", I said interestingly, "But why London?"

Without batting an eyelash, Zek answered, "Because I want to be a police there."

"Really?...uhm..so why be a London police?"

"Because they have beautiful police cars!", he shouted with a big smile on his face.

"OK, that's cool."
"And after you have your beautiful London police car, what will you do next?", quizzing up our conversation a little bit more.

Zek paused for a while. "Well, I will chase the bad guys in their car but I can easily catch them because my car is faster, right Daddy?"

"I am sure you will, Zek".
"What else will you do in London?"

Thinking further he declared, "OK, I will also have my own beautiful car and I will let you come to London and use it, if you are not too old."

"What if I am too old by that time?"

"Then, I will drive for you." Zek said with a smile.

"So you will let Daddy and Mommy join you in London?" obviously intrigue by his revelation.

"Yes, and you can stay in my hotel room and somebody will clean it for you everyday".

"Wow, who will pay your hotel room?"

"By myself." he assured.

"Now that's gonna be expensive."

"OK Daddy, then I will just go to New York", as he paused, "is it far?"

"Hmm, it should be around one day to go there by airplane."
"Do you think you can ride the airplane that long, I mean, are you not going to be afraid?"

"Ahhh, maybe a little bit", not sounding too sure this time.
"But I want to go to New York so I am not afraid"

"I am glad to hear that.", as I give Zek my own version of a happy and proud smile.


This conversation lasted for a few minutes only but it was another memorable time for us since our son has tried to express his thoughts and his dreams to me and my wife. OK, he likes cars ever since, often see the names of London and New York in the news weather report and he plays the Iphone game of police car chase. These explain his initial ideas. But to be invited to go to London or New York and drive his car and stay in his hotel room was just our son expressing his love for his parents. It was a mushy moving moment for me to hear that from him totally un-coached.

So when was the last time you let you child speak his/her heart out to you?
Spend some family time and catch that moment with them.
I bet you will enjoy every minute and you will heartily be rewarded.

Family time is loving time.

"Because you are precious to me and honored, I love you." - Isaiah 43:3

God bless.