2012/02/12

Growing In Love

After nearly 21 years of togetherness, it is really amazing how much I still discovers a lot about my lovely wife. These things, amongst others, reinforces the widely-accepted and age-old adage that marriage should be a lifetime of discovery and re-discovery between two people committed to love each other.

MissGyver is in the Kitchen
I don’t exactly know how she does it but I hardly find any left-over food being thrown into our garbage bin. She brought the idea of Pinoy idiom “pangat” to a whole new different level. It starts with the main dish in day one and a “modified” dish into another until the main dish becomes a side ingredient of another main viand. Let me give you an example – think about a Hainanese chicken (China steamed-style dish), which can become a fried-chicken the next day and a “mix-sahog” to a palatable minced veggie for its final destiny. She can fix up my sandwich with just about anything (ok, maybe not with a bitter gourd) and I will honestly find it tasteful. I swear, if there is such a thing as "sprinkled with love" ingredients, then my wife definitely has a kitchen-full of those.

Teacher Par Excellence
Our eldest son is a home-schooled kid the past three years and I can say with utmost sincerity and certainty that my wife has done an excellent task of that. Despite her overwhelmed and difficult moments of taking care of the kids and house-hold chores at the same time, I can testify that seeing our son learning to read and understand English, tackling math problems, taking interest in science projects and partaking in lots of artworks and extra-curricular activities, not to mention, his oh-uninterruptible queries and stories. Nobody can take credit for all these achievements but my wife and son altogether.

Coffee-Mates Forever
She never liked coffee until she started working for the bank and she has undoubtedly influenced a few years ago. She’d surprised me with a sweet cake or brownie to go with it and we would spend the next minutes talking about anything under the moon (yes, we have our coffee time as a recap night-time activity). She will tell me how her day went with the kids. She will ask about my work and I will just smile ( because I made a long-time self-promise that all work-related problems stay outside the front door, so she does not need to worry more about me) and just give her an overview of my day. As we sip our last, she will sometimes complain about how her back-aches (imagine three general anesthesia in three CS operation in a span of 7 years) is torturing her. This will eventually lead us to….

Mom Masseuse
She loves it when I give her a gentle massage to relieve her aching back. But never to be outdone, she will reciprocate my actions by massaging my face and head which I must admit relaxes me so much that I could sleep then and there :D. Her gentle hands can also calm down our two kids after a hyper-activity and after they have taken their baths.

So to my ever-loving and caring wife, Menchie, you know that the three men (well, actually it is a man and two smaller men) in your life loves you deeply in our most endearing (and maybe sometimes crazy) ways. And we thank you for your patience, perseverance and all those little big things that you do to look after us and take care of us.

We love you.
We want nothing less than happiness and fulfillment in your life.

Happy Valentines Day!