2015/03/06

Listen

Yesterday, during our first-Friday mass healing with Fr. Faller at the SM Megamall, I pointed to Aim, our three-year old son, one of the photos of the Stations of the Cross which shows Jesus crucified.

Me        :           Aim, who is that on the cross?
Aim       :           Jesus
Me        :           What happened to Him?
Aim       :           He has blood.

In my attempt to add a touch of philosophical view on our conversation, I ask another question.

Me        :           Why do you think Jesus died?
Aim       :           He did not listen.

I tried hard to control my laughter in order to keep the solemnity of the on-going mass. I wanted to laugh because I quickly remembered that every time one of our two sons get hurt despite our constant warning (e.g. "Sofa is not for jumping.",  "Flopping is not safe."), we often remind them to listen to us, as soon as we are sure that they are already fine. Aim, just like all toddlers, was simply mimicking his parents words.

But, after a deeper reflection on it, I realized that Aim was incidentally giving me a deeper philosophical answer than I wanted him to learn.

Jesus did died because He did not listen.

Jesus did not listen to the Pharisees and Sadducees who wanted him to “tow their line” and follow their strict rules and regulations.
Jesus did not listen to the masses who wanted to make Him a revolutionary leader to fight the Roman empire.
Jesus did not even listen to his apostles and disciples who wished for Him to ditch all His prophesies about dying and to stay with them all the time.

Jesus only listened to His Father and to the silent cries of marginalized sinners to be forgiven and the needy to be relieved of their hardship.

This is why He died on the cross.

In this season of Lent, may we all learn and take the time to listen to Him again.
Only His voice matters truly.

God bless po.