2007/12/27

Truth or Consequence

I remember playing this game during grade school only if one of my childhood “crushes” are playing with the group. The game rules are simple – either you are vowed to tell the truth, among other things, who is your crush or you will opt to do other funny or embarrassing consequences. It was quite a fun game at that.

What I haven’t learned from that game was how not telling the truth can also have serious consequences in my life and other people’s lives.

Looking back at my growing years, I can recall some first-hand experiences of how my dishonesty had deeply harmed others.Still back in grade-school, I spent many afternoon in our neighbor’s soiled backyard playing all common boy games – at times it involves only physical activity like the then-famous “tumbang-preso”, “harangang-taga”, or “moro-moro” but mostly it involves also some money like “tanching” (placing some coins inside a square line on the ground and trying to take them outside using another coin) or the “text” games (playing for small cards you can buy on the store). In order to sustain this playing habit, I normally put aside some of my daily school allowances or as a last resort, take a few coins from my father’s hanging pants and informed him later. Everyday was the same routine for me until one afternoon before New Year’s day. Because of the holiday vacation, I did not have any baon to spare and spend that time. My playmates were eagerly calling and waiting for me. Our father has not arrived home yet. The next thing I know, my hand was reaching down, instead, into my mother’s hand bag and got hold of a P10 bill. Nobody saw me and our mother would not notice it, in my thinking.

Or so I thought.

That same night, our mother did found out about it and all of us 4 brothers were made to stand side-by-side outdoor. One by one, our father and mother asked each one of us. My brothers denied and I lied. Our parents were angry when it was evident that no one is admitting the misdeed, so they made us stayed standing outside until the New Year festivities started. My 3 brothers were very upset since they were innocent and I ruined our New Year celebration that night because of my lie.

You think I would have learned after that.
Nope.

One time, I also lost a new wristwatch that my parents gave me but I was scared to admit that I lost it. So when my parents noticed that I am not wearing their gift, I pretended to look into my cabinet and appeared perplexed that it was not there anymore. In the end, my parents have mistakenly confronted my uncle who was temporarily staying with us that time. My uncle downheartedly left our house because of the false accusation, because of my lie.

These are just 2 vivid recollections of how my lies have hurt other people back then.
How I wish I can turn back the clock and rectify my sins but the harm was forever done.

I am grateful to our Lord for helping me to outgrow my childhood dishonesty. There was no flash-of-lightning or burning-bush incident when I started practicing honesty but only through step-by-step and moment-by-moment awareness of doing it. I am not perfectly honest until now. Sometimes, I still do fail, particularly with white lies that I assume wont hurt anyone (again).

But our God is patient with me so I will continue to improve myself.
In His time and by His grace, I know I will be.

No comments: