2007/07/13

15 Minutes

A letter to my 3 year old son.

Dear Zek,

I can never forget last Saturday morning.

I was about to go to work when you expressed your desire to go out of our house that you started to throw your tantrums as I closed the door. I was running late already but something (or Someone) pinched my heart that moment so I decided for us to go for a short walk around our place. We talked about many things, from your mommy’s on-going back pains, to my promise to go home early that afternoon and to your favorite cartoon quotes. Yeah, I know. You were merely repeating each last word I said but for me it was like you speaking your mind out. We counted and separated the kind of cars in the parking area by their color – red car, blue cars. Car brands mean nothing to you. It does not interest me either at this instance. I just wonder at your intense and out of this world fascination for transportation like cars, trains and airplanes.

I took you back home after 15 minutes. Your face was now beaming with delight. You were jumping out and down as I put you down. Yes I carried you all, 15 kilograms at that, because I was in a hurry a while ago that I forgot to put on your shoes. I can see that wink in your eyes. You still love being carried (hey, remember your mommy’s chronic back pains?) so you did not really call my attention about your shoes. And I realized again how simple it really is to make you happy, to make your day, to feel loved and cared for. You needed my time and attention at that very moment. Yes, we do play, read stories, and pray every night but that were our routine activities. You were craving for something special that morning.

Same for me, son. I also enjoyed it and the smile I kept hidden in my heart.

I was late for work, well actually, more late than usually late, but it does not matter much. I was also excited to go home earlier that afternoon as I promised so we can continue with our walk around. The parking area will be filled with more colored cars that we can count together.

By the way, I called your mommy this lunchtime and she told me that you were unusually unbored the whole day and was not able to take the afternoon nap as you were eagerly waiting for me.

Thank you, Zek for that 15-minute-moment (plus 1 hour in the afternoon) of deep joy you gave your old man.

I love you son.

Dad

2 comments:

vaibhav said...

grt emotions depicted by ur blog, awesome

Aim Santos said...

Thanks vaibhav and sorry for my late reply to your comment. China government bans all forms of blogs in the internet and I can only view all blog entries (including my own!) during my holidays in the Philippines.

God bless.