2007/07/23

My Father, My Hero

What are the top 10 things that I can fondly and proudly remember most of my dad during my growing years?
In a broader scope:
1. He and mom worked tirelessly to support our family’s need.
2. He was always proud of all of us children and enthusiastically shared our achievements to others.
3. He always took our family to outings and reunions.
4. He participated well and directed some of the parents’ annual presentation in our schools.
5. He started, together with some friendly neighbors, the LSS gathering and community in our subdivision
6. He organized the establishment of our Sunday masses for our subdivision using the nipa hut next door as venue.
7. He actively participated and served in any church activities (Actually, he still does).
8. He easily won the vice-presidency of our place and pioneered the establishment of our very own chapel and eventual parish.
9. He gave up the invitation for a higher position after the chapel and parish project was well underway and self-sustaining.
10. He never turned his back to relatives and friends who seek his help. He was always ready to help in anyway he can.

On a personal level:
1. He let me punch his cheeks and blurted out squeaky sounds while carrying me in his arms.
2. He spanked me only 2 times but using his leather belt which became my benchmark for good behavior (i.e. if dad is not angry, then I must be behaving well unless mom did not tell dad about what I awfully did wrong)
3. He seldomly spoke to me (or maybe I did not listen often) but always made his presence felt by his brushing-of-fingers-through-my-hair and pat-on-the-shoulder gestures.
4. He brought my kuya a real guitar and gave me a eukelele during one of his trip back from Cebu. At first I was jealous but later realized that my short hands cannot even hold the real guitar upright. Then I enjoyed my eukelele more.
5. He occasionally got drunk with our uncles but never appeared threatening or disturbing (in fact, he is more funny but not in the sense that I encouraged him to drink more).
6. He never taught me how to swim despite his being a collegiate coach in his university days.
7. He taught me how to drive the car and helped me get my first student license (it was a blast!)
8. He proudly walked beside me during my first communion march and confirmation ceremony.
9. He was faithful to our mom and have never quarrel with her in front of us children.
10. He selflessly loved me in thousand ways I did not notice then but has undoubtedly reverberated in my personal outlook in life.

But above all, I remember and admire my dad for his simplicity, humility and love for God.
He was like that before and he is like that up to now.

You would think that, given all his accomplishments and achievements, he would justifiably expect his share of recognition by this time. Wait until you see him open the steel doors of our grocery store by himself or take out the house garbage for pick-up or sweep our backyard or go to the wet-market to buy vegetables and fishes, then rush home to take a bath before tending to his lay ministerial tasks. Then you will know how humble he is throughout his life and how he loves our God with his lifetime service.

His life is worth my emulation.
I love him and I will surely let him know this again during our weekly internet chat.
He is my father and I will be forever grateful to our Father above for giving him to us.

Happy Father’s Day to all!

No comments: