2007/07/29

Keeping Fit

My leg muscles are cramping and I can hardly take a step down the stairs of the factory.Everybody conspicuously notices my pained steps.No, I am yet a senior citizen card-holder but I certainly feel that way.

It all started last Monday after finally setting my year-long plan of morning jogs into motion.I used to find plausible (I have one) and lame excuses (these I have a lot!) for not doing it before but I simply ran out of ideas anymore.

Indulge me to say a few of my famous lines to myself:
”O, the summer heat is too strong, I might dehydrate and wilt while running.”
”O, the winter breeze is too cold, I might catch a flu outside.”
”My goodness, I am hearing sweet singing voices under the bed, I think I will lay down longer and listen to them.”
”But why does Zek have to wake up at 9am, it is so unfair.” (and swoosh goes the quilt over me again)
”I cant believe it, I am dreaming that it is morning already, I must get back to sleep to wake up later.”

However, if my wife is the one reminding me about my exercise, I am left with no other choice but to use the ultimate melt-her-heart excuse. ”Honey, I am saving all my energies to play with Zek whenever he is awake and to help you with the household chores. I need all the rest I can get, ok?” (Thank you Lord for my understanding, or should I say, very enduring better half)Lazy to the bone.

At present, my wife and kid are on vacation, and after another month of mustering my will power, I finally did it.

How physically rewarding it has been so far! It is making me more alert the whole day and giving me sound sleeps the last 4 nights.

The morning sights and sounds are doubly uplifting.Inside the elevator, a father assists his son with his school bag.Along the pathway is a barkada of children walking half-awake (imagine their Chinese eyes still half closed and you can get the funny picture) towards their school while chomping their breakfast with their chopsticks or just fooling around with each other.A bus loaded with students slowly navigating through a narrow road. A mysterious floating school bag (which was actually hooked on the small frame of a very young student) A grandmother pulling her basket trolley to the nearby wet market eager to prepare for her family’s lunch.Two elderly men jogging in my direction (too much pride is at stake here so I tried hard to catch up with them in the most discreet way).Another middle age man whose built makes me sigh in relief at how hopeful my bulging tummy is.

The autumn breeze is refreshingly cool.
Yellow flowers popping out of the verdant grasses.
The sun’s morning radiance greeting everyone and everything that feels its gentle warmth.

It is a fascinating way of waking up and recognizing God’s love in the simplest of things that we normally don’t mind during the busy hours of the day. You can feel the ripple effect into your heart.

Now, I must maintain this morning activity.It does keep me fit in more ways than I can imagine.

I am already daydreaming about the near future when Zek and I would often do this together and share God’s morning doses of blessings.

It will be our father and son’s morning highlight reel of the day.

No comments: