2007/07/29

How I found my one true love

I used to belong to the pantheon of hopeless romantics in search for their one true love, the often-hoped-for-but-eventually-would-slip-away soulmate.

I was in 4th year high-school when I finally mustered enough guts to hog -tie my shyness and court the girl that I really liked. It was not that easy because she currently has a boyfriend, so not only was I risking a flat rejection from her but also possibly courting the ire of his mean-muscular bodied bf (note: I thought about this second problem thoroughly so I am counting on my fast feet to deal with it). She was polite and civil about my intention to court her. In fact, she couldn't tell me personally that she loves her current guy and I simply have no chance to swoop her away. I had to learn it from her best-friend. It was good since we have parted ways after that school year and the dejected feeling have faded easily.

Next chance. There was this friend in college whom our barkada at times teased me with. And after a year later, I grew some kind of fondness for her that I decided to eventually court her. I wrote her a letter expressing my sincere intention but not even a well-prepared, down-to-earth profession of my feelings touched her heart. She said she was not yet ready for such a commitment and that we should take our time to know each other more. Round 1 was unpleasantly hurting.

Round 2. Another 3 months or so passed and once again I proclaimed my affection to the same friend in one of our barkada gimmicks. I awkwardly brought along a stuff toy and chocolates in blind obedience to my relationship-consultants ( a.k.a. her friends). Without batting an eyelash, she maintained her decision for us to be friends. I wanted to take back my gifts (just kidding, of course) but then our barkada were already having their way with the chocolates so I let them be. Being "knocked-out" in this second round led me to graciously accept my fate.

At about the same time that this was happening, another girl-friend of us who transferred to a nursing school were planning to hold her debut party with cotillion. The participating boys will be from our barkada and the girls will be her present friends. I was not that excited due to my bruised ego and luckily I was not included in the line-up. Anyway, I still attended their practice in order to make fun of my friends while they were learning the formal dance.

For over a month then, one of their practice venue was Paco Park with all that old shady trees and small tombs adorning the centuries-old walls. It was eerie. But on one particular day, I was, in my own self, criticizing the poorly maintained place with all the leaves and yellow flowers strewn along the pathway when I heard a voice from among the girls who were walking in front of us.

"Wow, ang ganda naman ng mga flowers na nasa daanan natin," went her sweet voice.

So there I was grumbling about the nature's "trashes" while she was seeing them from a totally different and positive perspective.

I asked the name of the girl - Menchie.

I never took my eyes off her again.8 years were spent emotionally and spiritually nourishing our relationship. 8 years, by this April, is how long our marriage has been going now. It has been 16 years since God sent my one (and only) true love.

It was 16 years ago when God gave me the grace, to pause from looking and simply recognize the most wonderful person I will ever meet.

So for those who are still searching for their love of a lifetime - "Seeking and finding" is the norm but "looking around and recognizing" is a wonderful option as well.

Not sure which way to go?

You should consult the ONLY legitimate love expert.

Pause and close your eyes.

Empty your heart.

Pray to our Lord.

No comments: