2007/07/29

Proud to be his brod

I was never close to my younger brother J-ben. I think it was this subconscious sibling enmity that I felt since we were young. My kuya and I were always at home trying to help out in the household chores (note: we were 4 boys and the elders were the lucky ones to get the complete course in house help), while he was always out with his friends. Of course, he does stay at home every meal time and afterhours when only the cricket sound is left audible in our surroundings. My mindset has always been that no good thing can come out from his frequent barkada adventures. I also admit that there is a pinch of envy and jealousy on my side believing he was brought up to be a Jeproks (aka. ang taong lumaki sa layaw).

But as we get older (ouch!), I can't help but notice his responsible and entrepreneural side emanating from within. Being an outdoor junkie, he makes his knack for any in-demand business since he has first hand knowledge and experience of what has potential local market sales. From his furniture shop, to seasonal retailing of bags, shoes and breads, to guitars and second hand cars and reconditioned motor bikes. He hauls his merchandise just about anywhere, from the northernmost part of Luzon in Ilocos to the tricky side-streets and alleyways of Divisoria. He is one street-wise entrepreneur.

He is now happily married for 4 years and has 2 lovely daughters.

But it was this recent incident that really notched my respect and love for him a few steps near heaven.

He and his wife went out to withdraw 100K php from a bank to be used in their business. Being the safety-conscious person he always is, they simply picked-up the cash bundles the bank staff gave them, put them in the bags and scurriedly went back home. Lo and behold! The money bills were double the amount when they counted them at home. After recounting them, he made a quick phone call to our father because his major concern now is the dire consequence to the bank staff who made the serious mistake. And so he even made sure to return the money as discreetly as possible. I can only imagine the huge sigh of relief from the teller who must have kept her thanks in whispers to avoid calling attention to themselves.

To think that, a few months back, my brother confided to me that his small businesses are not doing well and is even asking my assistance to look for any China job he can fit into, have made him more deeply admirable for returning the "opportunity" money without blinking an eye.

I can still feel our father's proud tears when he retold me this incident some weeks ago.

No funfare.
No accolades.
Good deeds in secrecy.
Simple honesty.

That's my brother.

It was a humbling revelation for me.
Now, I am mighty proud of him and a firm believer that God reigns inside his heart no matter how often outside the house he stays.

No comments: