2007/07/13

Healing of the Body

He was a promising broadcast journalist from one of the top US TV channel.
He was being groomed to take over the lead anchor of their prime time news.
But an Iraq assignment 2 years ago changed his life forever.

His convoy fell victim to a roadside IEDs (improvised explosive device) which pierced through their armored vehicle.
Metal shrapnels entered his face and barely missed sensitive areas that could have killed him in an instant.
His skull has to be partially removed to give space for the swelling traumatized brain.
He spent more than a month in induced coma so the doctors can make marathon surgical operations.

After a year of rehabilitation and therapies, he was back at work with his slurred speech still a bit noticeable due to the mouth injuries he also sustained.
In his interview, he recalls feeling his spirit float and seeing himself apart from his body at the time the incident occured.

When asked by the late-night program host what he thinks about his whole ordeal boils down to, he replied, "I guess I am lucky."
He goes on to thank his family, friends and even strangers who have touched his life and helped him recovered but the list ended there.

I was musing to myself, "How could he forget to acknowledge God after everything that happened to him."

And off I went to bed after the TV show.

I slowly lost consciousness.
One by one, my thoughts for the day, began to go blank and ka-pfffft.
My mind logged-off.
My heart rate slowed down.
Muscles started to relax together with my internal organs.

But as soon as I was in the state of slumber, the other "me" started to work.
My body started to repair itself from the days work, healing small bruises, relaxing strained and aching muscles, collecting and flushing toxins.
The anger and annoyance I felt at work were disintegrating.
Clean-up and repair mode are in full-swing.
They would last for a few hours.

By morning I woke up refreshed and rejuvinated.
Got up and tidied up my bed.
I prepared and ate breakfast.
I opened my PC and checked my mails.
Before taking my bath, I watched the morning news co-hosted by the journalist interviewed last night.

I remembered his "God-less" view of his miraculous recovery.
Hmmm.
I almost missed God's message at this instance.

For here I was criticizing the journalist's view just as myself being pre-occupied with my morning preparations that I have not even offered a short thanks to Him after "healing" my body last night. Yes, mine is not a war-torn body but a work-exhausted one that needs healing everyday.And He does it without ceasing, day-in and day-out without any medical fees to be collected or medications to take.

I am perfectly healthy this morning.

Thank you, Lord, for your gentle reminder.
Thank you, Lord, for the restful night and for the miraculous gift of life you gave me today.

No comments: