2007/07/29

Heeding God's Call

THIS IS A JOKE
A little boy was overheard talking to himself as he strutted through the backyard, wearing his baseball cap and toting a ball and bat. "I'm the greatest hitter in the world," he announced. Then, he tossed the ball into the air, swung at it, and missed. "Strike One!" he yelled.

Undaunted, he picked up the ball and said again, "I'm the greatest hitter in the world!" He tossed the ball into the air. When it came down he swung again and missed. "Strike Two!" he cried.

The boy then paused a moment to examine his bat and ball carefully. He spit on his hands and rubbed them together.He straightened his cap and said once more, "I'm the greatest hitter in the world!" Again he tossed the ball up in the air and swung at it. He missed. "Strike Three!"

"Wow!" he exclaimed. "I'm the greatest PITCHER in the world!"


THIS IS NOT A JOKE
Whatever happened or did not happen in our lives that were not according to our plans are only perceived failures. They are temporary setbacks,at worst, that are part of the building blocs of God's plan for us. This basic lesson I was able to learn and absorb only after more than 10 years of wondering and pondering what is ultimately in store for me with the "detours" God was laying in front of me.

My parents have tried moving heaven and earth to guide my life as their lifetime offering to our Lord. I can still remember the times that my father will carry me during Sunday masses so I can see over shoulders all the activities that the celebrant priest are doing. And suffice it to say, I was the greatest motivator for our mother in her unceasing prayer life with the sole intention that I be blessed with the vocation of priesthood. So it was very difficult for me to see my mother cry an ocean of tears when, after a short stint inside a seminary, I was asked to leave for "lack of vocation". And it happened during the time that I was also convince myself that I do want to be a priest someday. There was a gaping hole and an unquenchable yearning in my heart during that moment of my life.

Yet, I did not give up after that. The next year, I tried, albeit in secret, to make a comeback which subsequently yielded again the same refusal after I failed to meet the stringent monthly recollection gatherings. The only consolation was that my parents need not to feel deprived again so this time the burden of sadness was mine alone to wallow in.

My life, henceforth, moved on.

Tonight as I sit down in our bed looking at my sleeping wife who will be celebrating her birthday tomorrow, our 2 month-old Maia beside her and Zek in his deep slumber a pillow away, I can only give my utmost thanks to our Lord for His most beautiful plan for me after all.

Tonight, God reinforces once again what He has been telling me all my life.
Many are called but few are chosen.
The rests are given other vocations.

My vocation is my family.

May we continue to recognize and utilize God's graces in sustaining each of our own vocation in life.
God bless us.

No comments: